Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Here. Hear, Dear.

by CWK

Forgive me if I stumble,
or meander now and then, or mumble.
The important thing is, I’m here, dear.
My heart is clear, dear,
even if my words are jumbled.
My words are gentle; they are humble;
they are near, dear.
So incline your ear, and hear, dear.

I wanted to tell you, I can only live here,
not there, and not just anywhere.
I’m barely here, here
I think, I hope, I might be fine –
but it would be more than just a line
to say I had a frightful scare, dear;
to say I’m living scarcely, on a prayer here.

Not that long ago, I fell out of reach.
I was ebbing like a castle of sand
at dusk, when the tide floods the beach.
My soul felt pale, faded, and bland:
like a Rembrandt, awash all in bleach.
I could barely stand,
and I could not understand
why or how to heal the breach
between me and me.

In habit of heart, I reached for your hand,
but it was missing. You were distant,
out of touch, away a thousand miles.
I feared I had been beguiled.
I feared our love a lie from my own tongue,
or worse, a dream from fever flung.

Was it your hand I held when… 
Whose was it then?
I lay at death's door for awhile, 
then another while.
I longed for someone to come to me and smile
anxiously, and say, 
"I came soon as I heard!"
What sick soul doesn't pray
to hear those words?

Meanwhile, I wondered, whose smile
I had seen all those times – Yours? Or, were
those dreams of some you I never even met?
Was it some you I missed – just barely –
but still, against my will, could not forget?
Such are the thoughts of mad men;
such are the thoughts I had then.

But I need to tell you: I am barely here, here:
holding on for dear life, dear:
making it through a day as if a day were a life, dear.
I can’t live outside these summer winters.
I have just enough grace to thrive here.
Like Manna, I have only a daily supply to survive here.

But, the important thing is, I’m here, dear,
and heart is clear, dear.
My words are near dear.
So, incline your ear, and hear, dear.




No comments:

Post a Comment