Friday, February 03, 2012

Goodness


by CK

I was once in a long slumber,
feebly hearing voices feeble,
and struggling to awake --
til tonight, mind alight, in a quaint coffee shop,
I tasted heaven in a slice of cake.

I walked outside, a man at last alive,
and trod down mainstreet
across brick and concrete
past tall buildings
and a rocky river
and peoples of all
sizes, shapes, beliefs.
And I saw the Giver,
and his hands underneath.

The concrete beneath my feet
was good.
And the river that meandered
was good.
And the people who passed
were very good.

On the supposition (credo
quia absurdum)
that men are responsible for their philosophies,
I defy Plato.

For, I saw goodness as sign,
and goodness by design a taste of heaven.
Goodness, at last!
Goodness, near, within my grasp:
goodness in a slice of cake,
goodness in a blade of grass,
goodness, 'pon all things cast.


No comments:

Post a Comment